Friday, October 12, 2007

The last stretch (Solo)

So, writing a complete account of the Selati Tour has taken a lot longer than what it took to do the event, but eventually I am onto the final stage.

 

Waking up for the 7th day was made slightly harder due to the late night thanks to the rugby.  As I write this the Boks are in the Semi final about to take on Argentina.  Lets hope they play the same way they did against the poms!

 

Ok back to the race… The day was off to a disappointing start with Neil having to abandon so close to the finish, but with an entire racing season ahead it was the wise move not to risk it.

 

The route was a superb one, with an easy start and then some biggish rolling hills towards the end.  It is amazing how ones body reacts to a hard week of riding.  On this the final day my legs felt completely fresh and better than they did all tour and it was nice to be apart of the racing.  Only the top 2 in the GC managed to get away just after the KOM.  I even found myself pushing the pace on the hills towards the end to get rid of some of the other riders. 

 

The finish was a hectic one as the last 300m were on a brick surface through the botanical gardens.  I managed to finish about 4th in the sprint so ended up being 6th overall for the stage.

 

I must say it was a relief to be finished but disappointing to think that 2 days after the finish and I would be back in the office!!

 

But what a tour, it was a great week and I must really thank Cape Storm for the opportunity, and Neil for making up the other half of Team Cape Storm.

 

I should be getting a cd of pics from Pierre this week so will post some of those soon.

No comments: